Auditing a Class
Starting on the 6th day of the quarter, you need to get instructor permission to change a class enrollment to audit status. When auditing a class, you participate in coursework, but you do not earn credit for the class or receive a grade. Auditing a class results in an N showing on your transcript.
You may not change your class enrollment to audit to avoid the consequences of cheating, plagiarism, or other intellectual dishonesty. No course credit is award for an N. The N is not included in grade point average (GPA) calculations.
See Policy 6260, Grades, Procedure for detailed information about course Audits.
Audit or N Deadlines
The Audit or N period for a regular quarter is from the 6th day of classes for the quarter (which is when Late Enrollment begins) through the first day of the seventh week of classes. Summer quarter deadlines are different. To find the start and end of the Audit period, look for "Late Enrollment" and "Last Day to Change to Audit" for the current quarter in the Academic Calendar.
Student Audit Request Form
To request an Audit or N, you must obtain instructor permission by submitting a Student Audit Request form during the Audit or N period. To find the start and end of the Audit period, look for "Late Enrollment" and "Last Day to Change to Audit" for the current quarter in the Academic Calendar.
1. Log in to the Student Audit Request using your Shoreline Network ID (i.e., your Shoreline email address and login). This is the same ID you use to log in to Canvas.
2. When you log in to the Student Audit Request form, it will auto-fill your name and preferred email address.
3. The form will also auto-fill with the classes you are enrolled in for the current quarter. Use the dropdown menu for the Quarter/Year to select the current term and the dropdown menu for Class to select the class you wish to Audit.
4. Click on the Submit Form button to submit your request.
5. You will need to submit a separate form for each class for which you are requesting an N or Audit.
6. You will receive a notice to your preferred email address that a request to change the enrollment status for a class you are enrolled in has been received.
7. Your instructor will be notified by email that a student has submitted a request to change their enrollment status in a class and will be asked to approve or deny the request.
8. Enrollment Services will be notified by email of your instructor's decision regarding your audit request.
9. You will receive a notice to your preferred email address that includes a link to your instructor's decision regarding your audit request. The instructor may include a note to explain their decision.
10. If your instructor approves your audit request, Enrollment Services will change your enrollment status for the class to N.
This didn't solve the problem?
Please click the submit a request button below to create a ticket and a Shoreline agent will reply shortly!