Withdrawing From a Class After the 10th Day of the Quarter
Starting on the 11th day of the quarter, you need to get instructor permission to withdraw from (drop) a class. Withdrawal from a class results in a W showing on your transcript.
You may not withdraw from a class to avoid the consequences of cheating, plagiarism, or other intellectual dishonesty. No course credit is awarded for a W. The W is not included in grade point average (GPA) calculations.
See Policy 6260, Grades, Procedure for detailed information about course Withdrawal.
Withdrawal or W Deadlines
The Withdrawal or W period for a regular quarter is from the 11th day of instruction through the first day of the seventh week of classes. Summer quarter deadlines are different. To find the start and end of the W period, look for "Drops Show on Record as W" and "Last Day W Grade is Issued" for the current quarter in the Academic Calendar.
Dropping or withdrawing from a class during the Withdrawal or W period will result in a W showing on your transcript, and you will be charged a $15 add/drop fee.
No W will be given after the first day of the seventh week. After the W period, you should contact your instructor about withdrawal options.
Student Withdrawal Request Form
To request a Withdrawal or W, you must obtain instructor permission by submitting a Student Withdrawal Request form during the Withdrawal or W period. To find the start and end of the W period, look for "Drops Show on Record as W" and "Last Day W Grade is Issued" for the current quarter in the Academic Calendar.
1. Log in to the Student Withdrawal Request using your Shoreline Network ID (i.e., your Shoreline email address and login). This is the same ID you use to log in to Canvas.
2. When you log in to the Student Withdrawal Request form, it will auto-fill with your name and preferred email address.
3. The form will also auto-fill with the classes you are enrolled in for the current quarter. Use the dropdown menu for the Quarter/Year to select the current term and the dropdown menu for Class to select the class for which you are requesting a W or Withdrawal.
4. Click on the Submit Form button to submit your request.
5. You will need to submit a separate form for each class for which you are requesting a W or Withdrawal.
6. You will receive a notice to your preferred email address that a request to change the enrollment status for a class you are enrolled in has been received.
7. Your instructor will be notified by email that a student has submitted a request to change their enrollment status in a class and will be asked to approve or deny the request.
8. Enrollment Services will be notified by email of your instructor's decision regarding your withdrawal request.
9. You will receive a notice to your preferred email address that includes a link to your instructor's decision regarding your withdrawal request. The instructor may include a note to explain their decision.
Sample notice that a request was Approved.
Sample notice that a request was Denied.
10. If your instructor approved your withdrawal request, Enrollment Services will change your enrollment status for the class to W.
This didn't solve the problem?
Please click the submit a request button below to create a ticket and a Shoreline agent will reply shortly!