Student Option Grading
In some classes, students have the option to request a Pass/Not Pass (P/NP) grade. Choosing a P/NP option may affect a student’s academic standing, transfer opportunities, or financial assistance. See Policy 6260, Grades, Procedure for detailed information about Student Option Grading.
A P or “Pass” grade indicates the student has achieved a performance level of 2.0 or higher in the class; course credit is awarded. An NP or “Not Pass” grade indicates the student has achieved a performance level of below 2.0 in the class; no course credit is awarded. Neither P nor NP is included in grade point average (GPA) calculations.
If you have questions about whether P/NP is a good option for you, contact your instructor or an academic advisor at Academic Advising before submitting the Student Option Grading Request form. International Students should contact International Student Advising.
Student Option Grading Request Form
For College-Level Courses
To exercise the P/NP grading option, students in college-level courses (numbered 100 and higher), must submit a Student Option Grading Request form by the midpoint of the quarter. Students can find the "Last Day to Submit Student Option Grading" for the quarter in the Academic Calendar.
1. Log in to the Student Option Grading Request using your Shoreline Network ID (i.e., your Shoreline email address and login). This is the same ID students use to log in to Canvas.
2. When students log in to the Student Option Grading Request form, it will auto-fill with the student's name and preferred email address.
3. The form will also auto-fill with the classes you are enrolled in for the current term. Use the dropdown menu for Quarter/Year to select the current term and the dropdown menu for Class to select the class for which you are requesting P/NP grading.
4. Click on the "Submit Form" button to submit your request.
5. You will need to submit a separate form for each class for which you are requesting P/NP grading.
6. You will receive a notice to your preferred email address that a request to change the enrollment status for your class been received.
7. Enrollment Services will change the grade basis for your class from Graded to Pass/Not Pass. You will then receive a notice to your preferred email address that the enrollment status for your class has been updated.
8. The instructor for the class will be notified that you have requested P/NP grading and that Enrollment Services has changed your grading basis for the class from Graded to Pass/Not Pass.
For Pre-College Level Courses
For pre-college level courses (numbered below 100), students may request Pass/Not Pass (P/NP) grading through the last day of instruction for the quarter. Students can find the "Last Day of Instruction" for the quarter in the Academic Calendar.
Through the midpoint in the quarter, students enrolled in pre-college level courses may use the procedure above (steps 1 through 8) and submit the Student Option Grading Request form to request Pass/Not Pass grading. Students can find the "Last Day to Submit Student Option Grading" for the quarter in the Academic Calendar.
If the midpoint of the quarter has passed, pre-college students should contact their instructors to request student option grading rather than submitting the Student Option Grading Request form.
This didn't solve the problem?
Please click the submit a request button below to create a ticket and a Shoreline agent will reply shortly!