What are student milestones?
- Are non-course-related events or achievements students must fulfill to take a course or complete a degree
- May include things like placement levels, language proficiency, or mandatory advising
- May align with a registration condition, for example, placement into ENGL& 101 as a condition for to enrolling in ENGL& 101
- Are configured differently by each college
- Do not expire
Who may update milestones?
At this time, security access to add and update Student Milestones is limited to general academic advisors and full-time faculty in the following academic departments: Biology, Chemistry, English, and Mathematics. Security access for Student Milestones will be adjusted after Spring 2022 registration.
Navigate to Student Milestones
1. Open Nav Bar in ctcLink by clicking on the compass icon in the upper left corner of any page.
2. Click on the blue Navigator icon. Follow these menu options to Student Milestones:
Records and Enrollment → Enroll Students → Student Milestones
Search for Student Via Student Milestones Page
1. Two options are available on the Student Milestones Page to search for a student: Find an Existing Value or Add a New Value.
Find an Existing Value
a. Enter student information in the Find an Existing Value search boxes. Shoreline Community College's Academic Institution code, WA070, should auto-populate. Search using the student's ctcLink ID number. Once you locate the student using the ID number, fcill in the student's Academic Career and Academic Program using the magnifying glass search icon.
b. If you find the student in the Find an Existing Value search and they have more than one Academic Program, select the current or active Academic Program to enter a milestone.
Add a New Value
c. If you do not find the student using the Find an Existing Value search, the student does not have an existing Milestone. Click on the Add a New Value option and look for the student using this search function.
d. If you find the student in the Add a New Value search and they have more than one Academic Program, select the current or active Academic Program to enter a milestone.
Student Not Found
e. If you do not find the student by using either the Find an Existing Value or the Add a New Value search, the student may not be term activated. Send a message with the student's name and ctcLink ID to email@example.com to ask whether the student needs to be term activated.
Assigning Milestones to a Student Record
Assigning a Milestone to a Student Who Has No Milestones
1. If the student does not have an existing milestone, you can use the current date as the Effective Date to assign a Milestone to the student. You will know the student has no existing Milestone because the number of pages for Effective Date and the Milestone Detail will both show as 1 of 1.
2. Click on the magnifying glass search icon next to the Milestone box on the Milestone Detail page to select the type of Milestone you wish to assign.
3. Select (click on) the Milestone you wish to assign and the name of the Milestone will be added to the Milestone box on the Milestone Detail page. In the example below, PLCMNT_CT appears for Placement- College Transcript.
4. Click on the magnifying glass search icon to the right of the blank Milestone Level box to open the Placement- College Transcript options.
5. Select (click on) the Milestone Level you wish to assign to the student and the name of the Milestone Level will be added to the Milestone Level box on the Milestone Detail page. Use the magnifying glass look up symbol to add the student's Academic Plan. You may add a Comment if you wish, checking the box for Hide Comment on Stdnt Self-Svc to hide the comment from the student.
6. Note in the example above that the Milestone Nbr 10 indicates this is the first milestone for this student. The Milestone Level MATH&_141 is entered based on College Transcript. If you are assigning only one Milestone, click Save to assign this Milestone to the student's record.
Assigning Additional Milestones to the Same Student
7. You may assign additional milestones to the same student by clicking on the + or plus symbol to the right of the Milestone Nbr box. This will add a blank Milestone Detail page to the student's record. Note in the example below that blank page to add a new milestone is the second page of the Milestone Detail pages (2 of 2), the new page is attached to the existing Effective Dated page (1 of 1), and the new milestone is Milestone Nbr 20.
8. Complete the information for the second milestone using the Milestone and Milestone Level menus. You may add the student's Academic Plan by using the magnifying class lookup tool. You may add a Comment regarding the placement with an option to hide the comment from the student.
9. You may assign additional Milestones to this student by repeating steps 7 and 8.
10. When you have finished assigning Milestones to this student, click the Save button in the lower left corner of the page.
Assigning Additional Milestones to a Student Who Has Existing Milestones
Students located through the Find an Existing Value search already have milestones assigned to them in the ctcLink system.
11. To assign additional milestones to a student who already has one or more milestones assigned, navigate to the Student Milestones page and locate the student using the Find an Existing Value search.
Navigation path: Records and Enrollment → Enroll Students → Student Milestones
12. The student's Milestone Detail page will show one or more existing milestones. In the example below, the student has one page of Milestones containing two Milestones. The Effective Date of the milestones is 03/03/2022.
13. To see both existing milestones, click to the second page of Milestone Details, or click View All. The student's second milestone is shown below. Notice above that the student's first milestone is Milestone Nbr 10, and notice below that the the student's second milestone is Milestone Nbr 20.
14. To assign this student a third milestone, click the + or plus sign in the Effective Date page to the right of Milestone Copy. Clicking on the + makes a historical copy of the existing milestones. The two existing milestones will be copied onto a second Milestone Detail page with a new Effective Date page attached.
15. Note that the current date is displayed as the Effective Date of the Milestone Detail copy. This current copy of the student's milestones is now marked 1 of 2. The historical copy is saved as copy 2 of 2. To save any new milestones you enter for the student, the Effective Date of the Milestone Copy you are working with must be at least one day later than the date on the historical copy.
16. To open a blank milestone detail where you can assign an additional milestone, click on the + or plus sign to the right of the Milestone Nbr on the Milestone Detail page.
17. The blank Milestone Detail page below is number 3 of 3 with a Milestone Nbr 30.
18. Use the magnifying glass lookup symbols to add the Milestone, Milestone Level, and Academic Plan as described above under steps 2 through 5 above. Add a Comment if you wish and check Hide Comment on Stdnt Self-Svc to hide the comment from the student.
19. To assign additional milestones to the student, repeat steps 6 and 8 above.
20. When you have finished assigning Milestones to this student, click the Save button in the lower left corner of the page.
Step-by-step instructions for Assigning a Milestone to an Individual Student are posted to the SBCTC ctcLink Reference Center:
This didn't solve the problem?
Please click the submit a request button below to create a ticket and a Shoreline agent will reply shortly!