How Student Employees Enter Time
This guide will show you how to enter your time worked (submit a timesheet) if you are a student employee.
Tips and Reminders
- In ctcLink, timesheets must be submitted and approved by the payroll deadline in order to be paid.
- Late timesheets will not be accepted and will not be processed until the next pay period.
- Please use a computer to enter your time. We recommend you don’t report your time using a mobile device.
- The Shoreline Technical Support Center can help if you have any questions about ctcLink, logins, passwords, procedures and more.
- The images in this guide may be slightly different than the images you see in the live environment.
You will be brought to a screen to select a tile. Select the appropriate tile for Shoreline Community College.
Once signed in to your ctcLink Gateway, select HCM Self-Service to be taken to your Employee Self-Service page.
The Employee Self Service page will display. Click the Time tile.
The Time page will display. Select the correct job.
Click the Enter Time tile to report.
- Do not use the Report Time tile unless you are using assistive technology.
- Some student employees may have more than one job. If you have more than one job, you have a couple of tile options for time reporting. If you find it difficult to report time for multiple jobs using the Enter Time tile, try using the CTC Time tile. Instructions are found at the end of this document.
The Enter Time page will display.
For student employees, all days in the pay period are displayed on one page. The top of the page displays the current pay period. You can switch to view a different pay period using the arrow buttons to the left or right. There is a View Legend link at the top of the page that gives additional details about information that can be seen on the screen.
- If you have time to report for a pay period that has already passed, you will need to work with HR/Payroll.
Select a Time Reporting Code (TRC) from the drop-down on the right.
- Student employees will see the TRCs available to them for their specific job. Many student employees will only see STU - Student Hourly Pay for the time reporting code, but some students may see HRY – Hourly. Students in Work Study jobs may see FWS – Federal Work Study, SWS – State Work Study and WFS – Workfirst/Workstudy. International student employees may only see OEX – OASI Excludable Pay.
- Ask your manager which is the appropriate code for your It is important that the correct time reporting code for the job is selected.
Enter the following:
- In: time that the employee started work for the day.
- Lunch: time that the employee left for their break.
- In (from Lunch): time that the employee returned to work.
- Out: time that the employee finished work for the day.
If no lunch break is taken enter the following:
- In: time the employee started work for the day.
- Out: time the employee finished work for the day.
- IMPORTANT: Make sure you report the time you ended your work shift in the Out field. If you use the Lunch field, the system will think you are on a shift break and not that your work shift was completed for the day. This will cause time reporting errors.
Time is assumed to be 24 time if no AM or PM entry is indicated.
- For example, 8:00 AM can be entered as either 8 or 8AM in the timesheet.
- For example, 2:00 PM can be entered as either 14 or 2PM in the timesheet (i.e. if 2 is entered without the PM then the system will assume that means 2AM).
When time is reported, the portion of the bar will turn green.
- Please note: you cannot enter your hours for the day as a quantity. This is called elapsed time reporting and is not available to student employees.
If you need to provide a comment for any day, click on the Comment icon at the right of the row. Comments, once entered, cannot be altered or removed. Additionally, all comments recorded by employees are considered discoverable.
Click the Submit button after you have entered time on the Enter Time page. If you add time and try to move to another page before clicking Submit, you will see this error message:
- You have unsaved Data on this page. Select OK to go back and save, Cancel to continue.
If time needs to be changed:
- Enter the new time on the day that needs to be changed.
- Select Submit and OK.
If there is a large break in the day, this is not a lunch break.
- On the first row, enter your In and Out times.
- Select the (+) on the right-hand side of the screen to add a row.
- Select the same TRC as before from the drop-down on the right.
- Enter the additional In and Out times.
- Select Submit and OK.
If a time entry needs to be removed from the timesheet:
- Select the (-) on the right hand side of the screen to remove a row from the day.
- The system will prompt a question, select either Yes Delete or No Do Not Delete.
- If Yes Delete was chosen and the employee wishes to finalize their choice, select Submit and OK.
When time is submitted, it will be processed by the system overnight, and your manager will receive a request to approve in the system. Before the payroll deadline, you can update and resubmit your timesheet. Managers only need to approve once at the end of the pay period. Around the end of the pay period, HR and Payroll may run the overnight process during the day so that managers receive notification on the same day that the timesheet is submitted.
After time has been submitted and processed overnight, you will be able to view your payable time in the Time Summary tile. In Time Summary, choose Payable Time at the top of the page to see a summary of your payable time for the pay period.
IMPORTANT NOTE – REPORT TIME TILE
In the main Time tile, employees will notice three different tiles for reporting time. Student employees should use the Enter Time tile as described above. Do not use the Report Time tile unless you are using assistive technology.
Using CTC Time to Enter Time
CTC Time is an alternative option for reporting hours. CTC Time can be used if you have multiple jobs or work at multiple colleges. See below for instructions for using the CTC Time tile.
- When you are in the “Time” tile, you will click on "CTC Time."
- The “CTC Time” screen appears, which will allow you to choose the job for which you are entering time.
- Once you select the correct job, the CTC Time page allows you to choose the date of the timesheet, enter the hours you are reporting, and to select the proper Time Reporting code.
- You will then click on the "Submit" button in the middle left-hand section of the screen.
This didn't solve the problem?
Please click the submit a request button below to create a ticket and a Shoreline agent will reply shortly!